The Foundation runs literacy classes (which means numeracy as well) for adults for six reasons.
- First: Literacy helps understanding and demonstrably improves cognitive thinking.
- Second: Our survey of over 80 businesses in the nearby Kande Market trading centre showed that the large majority of the owners were literate.
- Third: Access to the Foundation’s microloan programme is contingent on being literate.
- Fourth: Everyone should be able to read and write, pure and simple.
- Fifth: Parents’ literacy encourages their children to follow suit. The children of people attending the adult literacy classes sometimes accompany them and follow the lessons and there has been a reported increase in the number of children presenting at primary schools.
- Sixth: Consultations within the community identified education as one of the main aspirations and as a way to escape poverty.